« Previous  
 Next »

Navigating Legal Territory After Irene

10/20/11 12:00PM By Jane Lindholm
 MP3   Download MP3 

VPR/Samantha Fields
Many homes and properties across the state, like this one in Plymouth, were so badly damaged by Irene that their owners may not be able to rebuild. Yet many still have mortgages.

More than 700 homes across Vermont were damaged or destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene. In some cases, the damage was so extensive that homeowners will not be able to rebuild on their property. We talk with Senate President Pro Tempore John Campbell about some of the complicated legal issues that have arisen after Irene. Senator Campbell has just launched a new task force to address questions such as, what happens if your house and property were destroyed, but you still have a mortgage? Who owns the river that now runs through land you once owned?

Also on the program, we visit the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center, in Burlington, to catch a glimpse of some of its newest arrivals: a group of baby Eastern spiny softshell turtles. These threatened turtles are especially vulnerable to predators and habitat destruction when they're small.  So ECHO, in conjunction with VT Fish and Wildlife biologist Steve Parren, will care for the turtles through this fall and winter in its animal care unit.  When the weather warms up again the turtles will be released into Lake Champlain.


VPR/Jane Lindholm

And we talk to VPR's Bob Kinzel about a new song that his band, The Barn Band, has just released to raise money for Irene recovery.  Check out the full video of The Spirit of Vermont below.



Senate Pro Tem John Campbell's office: (802) 828-3806

Central Vermont Long Term Recovery Committee: (802) 461-7855
Franklin/Grand Isle Long Term Recovery Committee: (802) 527-5438
Newport District:  (802) 751-0168
St. Johnsbury District: (802) 751-0168
Brattleboro LTRC: (802) 257-4011 ext. 110
Bennington LTRC: (802) 447-2745
Chittenden County LTRC: (802) 651-1684
Addison County LTRC: (802) 388-7189
Rutland County LTRC: (802) 665-1721
Upper Valley/Hartford: (802) 885-8862
Randolph LTRC: (617) 501-8811


comments powered by Disqus
Supported By
Become an Underwriter | Find an Underwiter